Time: 12:25pm daily
Duration: 30 mins
Min. age: 8 years
Min. height: 1.25m
Price: $77 per person (Excludes zoo admission)
Members price: $70 (Includes zoo admission)
Max. guests per session: 2
Get up close to our lovable, happy capys
Experience Sydney’s only capybara encounter and meet the world’s largest rodent. These mammals are adorable, curious and lots of fun.
During our NEW capybara encounter, you will learn all about these special animals, get the chance to hand feed a capybara and pose for a photo.
A Sydney Zoo capybara encounter makes a memorable activity and is perfect for older children.
Book early to avoid disappointment as only two lucky people will get the chance to feed our capybara each day.
How to book
Call us on 02 7202 2560 to reserve your spot now.
- Please check-in at the information desk at the zoo entrance at least 15 minutes prior to your scheduled encounter time. Encounters go ahead on time as scheduled.
- Capybara encounter bookings do not include zoo entry. Please ensure you purchase an entry ticket or book your visit in the member portal.
- As a covid safe precaution, a face mask will be provided and is required to be worn during the encounter. It may be removed for a photo opportunity.
- Capybara encounters are held once per day at 12:25pm for a maximum group size of 2.
- Minimum age of 8 and minimum height of 1.25m applies. All children must be comfortable in the presence of animals.
- All participants up to 16 years must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- The encounter runs in all weather conditions. We recommend wet weather attire on wet days. Sydney Zoo reserves the right to cancel the encounter in extreme weather conditions.
- Capybara encounter inclusions: A keeper talk, one-on-one capybara feed and photo taken by our zookeeper with your phone.
- Fitness requirements: You should be able to stand and move freely and be able to walk across the exhibit area which involves walking up a slight gradient over non-sealed surfaces.
- This encounter is not suitable for wheelchairs or people with compromised mobility. Other encounters are available for people with compromised mobility. Please call us on 02 7202 2560 to discuss what other encounters may be suitable.
- Clothing requirements: For your comfort and safety, please wear enclosed footwear suitable for varied surfaces and to provide safety in the habitat. Visually ostentatious garments (i.e. costumes or novelty hats) are not permitted.
- Guests will be required to agree to encounter rules and sign a waiver form on the day.
- Encounter bookings are non-refundable. Any changes to your booking must be made at least 7 days prior to your visit date. Please call us on 02 7202 2560.