2. Personal information collected by Sydney Zoo
The type of personal information that we collect from you will depend on the circumstances of collection and on the type of any service you request from us.
Information collected from web browsing
When you view this website or, sydneyzoofoundation.org or other online sites operated by Sydney Zoo and its contractors, we collect the following information:
- your IP (internet protocol) address or host name eg. 184.108.40.206 or xxx.yyy.com.au
- the date and time you visited the website
- the pages or documents you attempted to view or download, and whether those pages or documents were displayed
- the web browser and operating system you are using
- the previous site you visited, if you reached our website by clicking on a link
- whether you have previously visited our website (only if you accept cookies – see below for more information about cookies).
No attempts are made to identify anyone browsing our site. The data is captured so that we can accurately evaluate the quality of the content on the website and make continuous improvements.
The only time our website is able to identify you is if you have signed in as a registered user and agreed to provide your details. In this case, our website maintains a register of your user details in order to make your return visits to the site (and access to information relevant to your association with us) easier for you.
Information collected from online forms and services
When you submit a form on this website, or provide information as part of using an online service, we collect information from the activity. This information may include personal and organisational details such as your full name, date of birth, gender, phone number, business name and ACN or ABN details, email address and street address. Examples of online forms and services include:
- purchasing a ticket or annual membership
- making a booking
- making a donation
- registering your details for a survey, competition or any other purpose
- accepting or declining an event invitation
Clicking on the 'submit' button on the form acts as your consent for Sydney Zoo to collect the information you have provided.
Sydney Zoo offers subscription services on this website. These services are offered on an ‘opt in’ basis. You can opt out at any time by using the unsubscribe button at the foot of each email you receive or contacting us via email@example.com and we will promptly process your request.
When you subscribe to a newsletter or news alert service from Sydney Zoo we will use your personal information in order to provide the content to you. We may also use your personal information to tell you about associated services, public information campaigns or web content we think you might be interested in, but only if you have indicated that you are happy to receive this information.
Information collected from email
If you send us an email, we will record your email address for the purpose of responding to you.
Other methods of collection
Sydney Zoo may also collect personal information from you when you deal with us:
- by telephone
- correspondence (letter, fax)
- in person
- As well as collecting personal information directly from you, there may be occasions when we collect information about you from a third party. For example, from a person or organisation who are making a donation, purchase or booking on your behalf.
We collect personal information that is reasonably necessary for our organisational functions.
3. How Sydney Zoo will use your personal information
Sydney Zoo may use your personal information to:
- process your purchase, booking, donation and other transactions
- send tax receipts
- facilitate your participation in Sydney Zoo sponsorship and membership programs
- conduct marketing activities and to conduct market research
- respond to customer enquiries or complaints
- raise funds for conservation programs undertaken and supported by the Sydney Zoo Foundation
Some of the personal information we collect is essential for us to be able to accurately identify who is using the products and services and what their interests are in order to improve customer service through research, marketing, product development and planning.
Information collected from forms, newsletters and email will only be used for the purpose for which you have provided it. We will not use it for any other purpose unless with your consent or in other circumstances where such use is permitted under the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998.
Website and cookies
Information collected from web browsing is used to identify patterns of usage of the website. This will help us to improve our website and the electronic services offered on it.
The Sydney Zoo website uses "cookies" to improve the user experience for our guests online. A cookie is a small data file that contains information about your visit to our website. The typical purpose of cookies is to help websites remember particular actions you may have done in the past. For example, cookies may track when you have logged into a site, visited certain pages or clicked certain buttons.
- remember when you have logged into our website
- remember your user preferences, searches and favourites
- track the success of our marketing campaigns
- improve our service to website visitors
- target relevant advertisements to you via third party ad networks, social media and other online advertising platforms
- enable social media sharing
Despite this, if you do wish to disable or remove cookies, please see the “Help” section of your browser or mobile device. Each browser or device handles the management of cookies differently, so you will need to refer to your appropriate “Help” documentation. However, as mentioned, cookies are essential for certain features of our website to work properly.
The Sydney Zoo website uses security encrypted response forms when personal and financial details are requested. The security we use between your browser and our web-site is SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) encryption.
4. Disclosure and sharing of personal information
Sydney Zoo may at times disclose your personal information to a third party, to whom we contract out certain services. For example, we engaged third party suppliers to:
- provide email and mail handling services; provide electronic funds transfer services, credit card account processing and related services
- conduct market research
- provide catering services
- provide information technology services such as data storage and processing, software, system development and maintenance
In these situations Sydney Zoo prohibits the third party contractor from using your personal information except for the specific purpose for which we supply it.
Under no circumstances will Sydney Zoo sell or receive payment for licensing or disclosing your personal information. Sydney Zoo will however share information with third parties if:
- we need to share personal information in order to provide the product or service requested
- we are legally obliged to do so; or
- we are otherwise required or permitted under the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998.
5. Accessing your information
Under the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 you have the right to access and change personal information Sydney Zoo holds about you, such as your address and phone number(s).
We are committed to ensuring that the information we hold is accurate, complete and up to date, so we encourage you to advise us if the information you have given us has changed. If you believe our information is inaccurate, please contact us and we will correct the information.
7. Retention of personal information
We will retain the information you have provided for a period that is appropriate for the purpose for which it was provided. Your information will be archived and disposed of in accordance with Sydney Zoo policies, legislative requirements and guidelines based on the NSW State Records Act 1998.
We take reasonable steps to protect information during transfer and storage. Physical measures, such as building and equipment security, are used in conjunction with digital technology, such as data encryption and firewalls, to minimise unauthorised access to information.
8. How to access your personal information
Sydney Zoo facilitates individuals to access their personal information in the following manner:
- the request must be in writing;
- we will endeavour to respond in writing to requests for access within twenty eight (28) days of the receipt of the request; and
- Sydney Zoo may impose a charge on providing access to the personal information depending on the nature of the request.
Contact details are set out below.
If you wish to alter personal information held by Sydney Zoo, you should advise us in writing of the required changes. Sydney Zoo will endeavour to make the changes requested within twenty eight (28) days of the receipt of the changes at the offices of Sydney Zoo, provided that we are satisfied that the changes are accurate, complete and up to date. Sydney Zoo will not confirm the changes are made unless specifically requested to do so.
9. Opting out of marketing, promotions or related activities
You can change the type and frequency of information you receive from us by calling 1800 843 966. If you do not wish to receive any more emails from Sydney Zoo, you can opt-out by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. Changes to this Privacy Statement
The Sydney Zoo Privacy Statement may change from time to time due to legal or business requirements. Any changes to this Privacy Statement will be updated on sydneyzoo.com.
This statement was last updated in December 2018.
If you think Sydney Zoo has breached our obligations with respect to your personal information, please provide details of the circumstances and your concerns in writing to Sydney Zoo. Sydney Zoo will endeavour to respond to you within twenty eight (28) days of receipt. Contact details are below.
12. Contact information
Mail: PO Box 40, Doonside NSW 2767
Phone: 1800 843 966