Sydney Zoo Pty Ltd (ABN 55 168 970 090) (Sydney Zoo, we, us and our) is committed to protecting your privacy. We abide by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act), including its 13 Australian Privacy Principles.
• how we collect, store, use, disclose and otherwise handle (process) your personal information (as defined in the Privacy Act); and
• your rights in relation to your personal information held by Sydney Zoo.
2. Personal information we collect
From time to time, Sydney Zoo may collect personal information including your name, date of birth, gender, phone number, email address, street address, and payment card information. We may collect personal information from you directly when you deal with us by telephone, online, written correspondence (i.e. email, letter, fax or text) or in person. We may also collect your personal information from third parties (e.g. from an organisation that makes a donation, purchase or booking on your behalf). The type of personal information we collect will depend on the specific circumstances of our dealings with you.
Information collected from Sydney Zoo entry, donations and promotions
We may collect your personal information in person, from our website, by telephone and other means when you:
• purchase tickets or memberships to Sydney Zoo;
• make a booking to visit Sydney Zoo;
• make a donation;
• register your details for a survey, competition or promotion; or
• accept or decline an event invitation.
Information collected from our website and networks
When you view our website or use our wifi networks, we may collect the following information:
• your IP (internet protocol) address or host name;
• the date and time of your visit;
• the pages or documents you attempted to view or download, and whether those pages or documents were displayed; and
• details of your device, web browser and operating system;
We may also use “cookies” to:
• remember when you logged into our website;
• remember your user preferences, searches and favourites;
• track our marketing campaigns;
• improve our services to website visitors;
• target relevant advertisements to you via third party ad networks, social media and other online advertising platforms;
• enable social media sharing; and
• tailor our services and making your visits easier, more productive and more efficient.
If you wish to disable or remove cookies, please see the “Help” section of your browser or mobile device. Each browser or device handles the management of cookies differently, so you will need to refer to your appropriate “Help” documentation. However, as mentioned, cookies are essential for certain features of our websites to work properly.
Information collected from social media
We also use social media platforms and other interactive online forums through which we promote and provide our products and services. We may process personal information you disclose through such forums. However, such information may also be read, collected and used by other users, the actions of whom we cannot control and for whom we take no responsibility.
3. Why we process your personal information
Sydney Zoo may process your personal information if it is reasonably necessary for the purposes of carrying out our business and operations, including to:
• provide you with information, promotions, announcements as they relate to Sydney Zoo
• provide you with, and to improve, our products and services;
• undertake surveys in relation to your experience with our products and services;
• process your purchases, bookings, donations and other transactions and send tax receipts;
• identify who is using our products and services, develop a data profile to enable us to tailor our products and services to you, including to enhance the content of our websites and create aggregate anonymised data (which does not identify you);
• monitor your location while at Sydney Zoo and notify you of exhibits, offers and other products or services that may be of interest to you;
• facilitate your participation in Sydney Zoo sponsorship and membership programmes;
• accept donations and raise funds for conservation programmes supported by Sydney Zoo; and
• respond to your enquiries or complaints.
You specifically consent to us processing your personal information for marketing activities and promotions, including newsletters, alerts, advertisements, associated services, public information campaigns and web content we think you might be interested in. In the event you do not wish to receive such marketing and promotions communications, you may opt-out using the unsubscribe mechanism contained in the communication or by contacting us using the contact details below.
4. Disclosure and sharing of personal information
Sydney Zoo will not disclose your personal information except:
• to our third-party suppliers, business partners, and personnel in connection with the operation of our business (e.g. email and mail handling, electronic funds transfer, credit card account processing, market researching, catering, data storage and processing, software, system development and maintenance);
• for law enforcement, public health or public safety circumstances, if required by law; or
• with your consent or if your consent can be reasonably inferred from the circumstances.
We will never sell or receive payment for licensing or disclosing your personal information.
Some of the third parties to whom we disclose your personal information may be located outside Australia (Offshore Recipients). For example, we may transfer your personal information to third party data centre providers and server infrastructure located outside Australia.
• Offshore Recipients are not subject to Australian privacy laws and may store, use or disclose your personal information in a manner that is not compliant with Australian privacy laws; and
• Sydney Zoo has no liability for the acts and omissions of Offshore Recipients.
5. Security and confidentiality
We take reasonable steps, including by maintaining organisational and technical measures, to protect your personal information from misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification and disclosure. Your personal information is stored in a secure environment protected by physical and logical security measures and is designed to be accessed only by authorised personnel. However, because of the nature of the internet, we cannot guarantee that your personal information is totally protected from hackers, viruses or misuse. Our websites use security encrypted response forms when personal and financial details are requested.
We will destroy or de-identify your personal information in accordance with Sydney Zoo policies and guidelines if we no longer need it for the purposes for which it was collected, unless we are otherwise required or authorised by law to retain the information.
6. Your rights
You have the right to access and correct your personal information held by Sydney Zoo.
Please contact us via our contact information below if you:
• wish to access, correct, or modify your personal information;
• consider that there may have been a breach of your privacy;
• would like to opt-out of receiving marketing or promotional communications from us; or
• are unhappy with any aspect of the way we process your personal information.
You will be required to provide proof of your identity to ensure that personal information is provided only to the correct individuals and that the privacy of others is protected. We may charge you a reasonable administration fee reflecting the costs to us for providing access in accordance with your request. Where you have raised a concern or complaint regarding your privacy, we will endeavour to respond within 28 days of receiving your request. If we refuse to provide access to, or allow correction of your personal information, we will notify you in writing setting out a written explanation of the reasons for the refusal (unless unreasonable to do so) and inform you of the mechanisms to complain about the refusal.
In the event you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your request, or if you still have any concerns about your privacy, you may contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
7. Contact information
Phone: 1800 843 966
PO Box 40
Doonside NSW 2767
8. Changes to this policy
All encounter participants must:
Please note: your booking is not confirmed until the indemnity form is signed.