For an animal-loving child, or a kid who’d love to be a zookeeper one day, there’s really no better experience than our Mini Zookeeper for a Day program. This program teaches children what it takes to become a zookeeper and provides an opportunity to get hands-on experience feeding and caring for a range of different animals.
Our mini zookeepers will learn cool facts and important information about animal conservation. They’ll learn about animal training and what they can do in their own lives to protect rare and endangered animal species. They’ll even get the chance to get creative and make something that will enrich the lives of our beautiful animals.
The Mini Zookeeper For a Day program is a great activity to keep the kids busy. Book early to avoid disappointment as only 12 children per day will have the opportunity to participate in this program.
What to expect
- 8:30am orientation
- Meet and greet with zookeepers
- Participate in daily cleaning and food preparation tasks
- Photo opportunities with reptiles and Australian animals
- Assisting in animal feeds
- Creating animal enrichment items
- Q&A session with education team and zookeepers
How to book
New Term 1 dates on sale now: 20/21st Feb, 6/7th March, 20/21 March, 3rd to 18th April every day. Call us on 02 7202 2560 to reserve your child’s spot now.
- The Mini Zookeeper For a Day program is held every day during the school holidays.
- Please check-in at the information desk at the zoo entrance between 8:30am and 8:45am. The Mini Zookeeper For a Day program goes ahead on time as scheduled.
- The Mini Zookeeper For a Day program does not include zoo entry. Please ensure you purchase an entry ticket or book your visit in the member portal.
- The maximum group size of 12.
- Children must be aged between 8 and 12 and all children must be comfortable in the presence of animals.
- Parents are not able to accompany children on the day, however are welcome to purchase a ticket to explore the zoo at their own pace.
- The program runs in all weather conditions. We recommend wet weather attire on wet days. Sydney Zoo reserves the right to cancel the encounter in extreme weather conditions.
- Program inclusions: A full day of learning and fun! Lunch is included.
- What to bring: A backpack and a sun hat, water bottle and morning tea/snacks.
- Fitness requirements: Children will be exploring and walking around the zoo for the day and should be able to stand and crouch comfortably.
- Clothing requirements: Enclosed flat shoes.
- Participants will be required to agree to the program rules and sign a waiver form on the day.
- Members prices only available to children on an active annual membership.
- Members are entitled to a 10% discount which is reflected in the members price listed above.
- Mini Zookeeper For a Day bookings are non-refundable. Any changes to your booking must be made at least 7 days prior to your visit date. Please call us on 02 7202 2560.